COUNSELLING & ADVOCACY
Proper counselling comes in a variety of formats, but only has to follow a golden set of rules, the most important of which is derived from the understanding that what we deal with are issues such as loss, anxiety, isolation, low self-esteem, progressive illness, long-term psychological abuse, lack of independence or empowerment, hopelessness, relationship and transition difficulties. And many more.
Providing a safe space of acceptance and support populated by considerate care givers who are trained to tackle these everyday problems is our mission. We advocate for the needs of those who do not yet have a voice! We support the claims of those who have found their own voice!
To that end, we offer person-centered counselling on a number of practical (and emotional) issues, such as:
- Safety and crisis solutions (accidents, sickness, fires, pandemics, etc)
- Educational opportunities and vocational courses for the disabled
- Medical assistance and counselling regarding health insurance, the right to proper medical care and a personal physician
- Civil rights, the right to vote, the right to choice and freedom, and all the other rights guaranteed by Article 19 of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD)
- Contraception and family planning
- Addressing the appropiate institutions in order to obtain suitable accommodation, identity cards, disability certificates, food, clothing and medical assistance
- Psychological support and conflict mediation to navigate the effects of disability in relationships with others
- Legal counselling on the rights of the disabled